Monday, July 23, 2012

A Little Wild


I have been really hooked on wood surfaces lately. I did another piece on wood this last weekend. It's a little on the wild side and dark but that's where it took me. Her smoky eyes and the Craftsman paper from Prima gave me an industrial dark feel.

Here is how my base layers stared. I cut paper to the size and shape that I wanted her face and shoulder to be. THen I drew and painted the face onto the paper. I used gesso, Faber-Castell colored pencils. TO add details to her eyes I used india ink with a paint brush. I had used new Donna Downey and Prima screens on the background with Tim Holtz Distress Stains. I ended up covering up some of the masked images but I like the effect of some of the designs peeking out.


As you can see her hair grew a mind of its own. I used Golden Acrylics to paint in her hair and spread the splatters and swirls across the top of her. I added Tim Holtz Adirondack color wash in Lettuce around the corners. It helps bring out the green her eyes ;)



Tips: When drawing faces always have a source picture. When starting out it is very hard to draw proportions and details without a realistic reference. My drawings aren't realistic but I still try to make sure my forms and dimensions are close to lifelike.

 Craftsman Collection                            Donna Downey Screen
















Thank you for stopping by. 

Hugs
Jamie D

1 comment:

  1. This is just so fabulously amazing! I don't find it dark at all, just arty and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete